Ever heard the phrase “The man who represents himself has a fool for a client?” The dangers of self diagnosis and treatment of conditions like neuropathy could cost you your life.
While the old adage above is applied to the legal profession, the same can be said about patients who attempt to diagnose and treat their own illnesses and injuries. Especially when their symptoms indicate they’re dealing with something that could be serious.
The internet has made it easy for us to research our own health issues and become educated patients but it has also made it easy to misdiagnose and inaccurately treat those medical conditions. Often from very unqualified information.
Now this may not be dangerous with a common cold, but if you have (or think you have):
– Diabetic neuropathy
– Post-chemotherapy neuropathy
– Guillian-Barre Syndrome
– Peripheral neuropathy
You could be doing your body irreparable harm by not consulting a highly trained clinician, for proper diagnosis and treatment.
By researching and treating on your own, you’re wasting valuable time and when you’re dealing with neuropathy or any condition that involves nerve damage, because so often you don’t have time to waste.
The delay in obtaining medical treatment could make a small problem much, much worse. Once that window for early treatment is gone, you can never get it back. Treating on your own is an excellent example of being penny wise and pound foolish.
Here are just a few of the things that can happen when you diagnose and treat on your own:
– You could be wrong about the diagnosis and taking medications that you don’t need. That not only means that you’re not “curing” yourself, you could be making matters worse.
– You could be right about the diagnosis but taking the wrong medications.
– You could be right about the diagnosis but need prescription medication in the appropriate strength to address your symptoms.
– You could be putting yourself at risk for serious drug interactions with other medicines you’re taking (especially if you’re taking over the counter medicines and supplements without medical supervision).
– You could be fixing one problem with over the counter medications but making another problem worse or even creating a new problem.
– You could be missing the root cause of the problem – particularly in cases of neuropathy.
– Finally, you could be putting yourself at risk for life theatening damage.
You Need to Seek Professional Care
Treating on your own is a classic example of being penny wise and pound foolish. You may save a little money up front but it’s going to cost you more in the long run when your health care provider has to play catch up and try to fix the harm done by delaying proper treatment.
If you have symptoms of any of the illnesses we talked about above (especially diabetes), it is vital that you seek professional medical care.
Early treatment provided by a specialist familiar and specifically trained with peripheral neuropathy will make it much easier for your body to repair itself and lessen your chance of developing permanent nerve damage as a result of peripheral neuropathy.
Don’t be afraid to ask for our guidance.
Before you try to diagnose and treat yourself, we hope you’ll consider the potential harm you could doing to your body. And make the right choice – seek professional diagnosis and treatment.
Time is of the essence.
For more information on neuropathy, get your Free E-Book and subscription to the Weekly Ezine “Beating Neuropathy” at https://neuropathydr.com.
Patients and Doctors are invited to call us at 781-659-7989 at 12:30 EST Monday, Wednesday and Thursday to talk with the next available senior clinician.