If you believe you may be suffering from neuropathy, it is important to get proper treatment that targets the overall improvement of your health—early.
One of the things that we see in the office all too frequently is when a patient presents with neuropathy symptoms, sometimes for many years.
Too often, neuropathy patients search for answers without actually engaging in any effective treatment. And too often real answers as to what may be responsible for your neuropathy never come.
All the while however, the actual conditions underlying or aggravating neuropathy are going untreated.
The consequences of this are dangerous. The longer you delay proper treatment, the more difficult effective treatment could actually be.
This is not to say every case of neuropathy is curable; unfortunately, it is not.
But we now understand the impact of things like lifestyle, cigarette smoking, and body weight have on most forms of peripheral neuropathy, and related disorders such as fibromyalgia.
Many types of chronic pain respond exactly the same way.
So here’s the best advice I can give you: If you believe you may be suffering from neuropathy, it is important to get proper treatment that targets the overall improvement of your health—early.
Keep in mind that very rarely do drug-only therapies provide a lasting answer. In fact, drug-only therapy can mask underlying causes of neuropathy, and make your condition progress faster.
At the same time, work with healthcare professionals that understand all possible underlying causes.
Identify any correctable things such as poor diet, cigarette smoking, et cetera. Above all, it is important to take responsibility for your own care, in your own health. Neuropathy and chronic pain are not one-size-fits-all disorders. Peripheral neuropathy patients who do the best realize this—and take action every single day.
Learn all you can about things like gluten- and dairy-free diets.
Be sure to get regular physical activity as tolerated. Explore proper physical therapy and treatments such as neurostimulation and laser.
Listen to your body. Pay attention to what it is telling you. Years from now, you’ll be glad you did.
Join the conversation on Facebook!
- The Most Dangerous Number for Neuropathy Treatment Success Unfortunately, many clinicians and patients focus exclusively on trying to…
- Make Your Neuropathy Treatment Program Work Better! We know for a fact that self-treatment goes a long…
- Anxiety, Depression, and Good Neuropathy Treatment One of the things that is perhaps universal amongst patients…
- More on Physical Activity and Your Neuropathy Treatment Why is this so important for good neuropathy treatment? For…
- The Importance of Great Shoes in Neuropathy Treatment The shape of your feet changes with age, swelling, as…