One of the things that is new to many patients who suffer from peripheral neuropathy and chronic pain is the effect that daily exposure to multiple environmental toxins can have.
For example, the average person is exposed to numerous chemicals everyday in our air, water, and even our food. Some of these substances may pass through the body harmlessly, yet others may linger in fatty tissues, creating a whole host of health problems.
But this is tricky. With rare exception, most accumulations are slow or insidious. Exceptions could be exposure to large amounts of acute toxins, such as solvents.
Note these toxins can be anything from radon gas in the house to chemical pesticide residues on food, to antibiotic residues, which are now commonly present in water.
Living healthily means you need to avoid as much toxic exposure from your environment and food as possible. So let’s talk about some of the most important things we can do.
Perhaps the most important source of toxins you can correct immediately is filtering your drinking water. We strongly recommend a pitcher or whole house type water filter with a carbon filter.
Carbon filters can be very effective at removing many toxins. But the key to their effectiveness is to make sure that the filters are changed frequently and disposed of properly.
The next rule of thumb is, wherever possible, consume only unprocessed foods.
Fruits and vegetables should be organically grown, or at least washed, wherever possible. If you grow anything around your home, do not use commercially available pesticides.
Third, minimize your exposure around the home. Start with cleaning out your garage and your cabinets, removing all toxic cleaners and chemicals. Most towns have hazardous waste disposal—make sure you participate.
Lastly, stop using commercial lawn products. So what if it’s not perfect?
We spend so much time around our homes, breathing the air, walking along the soil, and so do our pets. Be more careful here immediately.
There are now many available products, which are far safer than traditional commercial products.
But don’t simply fall for the trap of “green”, environmentally safe”, etc; really read labels.
Go to websites, learn, ask questions. If we all do this, we will create a far safer world for our children!
Join the conversation on at Beating Neuropathy on Facebook!